Illinois Democratic Rep. Danny Davis says he sees ‘nothing wrong’ with the California ACLU’s effort to ban the Star Spangled Banner as the country’s national anthem.
Davis, a member of the Congressional Black Caucus went on to say, “Intellectually, if people continue to pursue this nation to become perfected, then I see nothing wrong with that.
This is more Marxist tactics to destroy any and EVERYTHING that is our heritage and culture.
The line that is being used to claim racism is the anthem’s third verse, which is seldom sung and includes the line, “no refuge could save the hireling and slave from the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave.”
Too bad they don’t know context and history:
Meaning of Star Spangled Banner Lyrics Verse 3
● Francis Scott Key describes the British as arrogant and boastful in the lyrics ‘that band who so vauntingly swore’
● He is venting his anger at the British with the “foul footsteps’ pollution” lyrics inferring that the British poisoned the ground on which they walked
● But the poison and corruption had been washed away by the blood of the British
● The Star Spangled Banner lyrics “the hireling ” refers to the British use of Mercenaries (German Hessians) in the American War of Independence
● The Star Spangled Banner lyrics “…and slave” is a direct reference to the British practice of Impressment (kidnapping American seamen and forcing them into service on British man-of war ships). This was a Important cause of the War of 1812
● Francis Scott Key then describes the Star Spangled Banner as a symbol of triumph over all adversity